In the Fungal Pharmacy, under Hericium, it means “hedgehog” in Latin.
The Fungal Pharmacy is a well regarded reference book which includes the historical uses, medicinal uses, and current research citings of Fungi
Hericium is cited for its ability to
- stimulate the immune system
- as a nerve tonic
- useful in chronic bronchitis
- and as it being used for its preventative cancer abilities
- Induces synthesis of Nerve Growth Factor
- Possibly useful in amelioration of Alzheimers and related chronic nerve / brain related diseases
- Could possibly be used for Dementia, however studies have not been done due to funding.
- Japanese study using Lion’s Mane in soup every day for a month, 6 out of 7 patients demonstrated improvements in perceptual capacities
- Lion’s Mane Water Extract given to rats, demonstrated improvement to injured perineal nerves, (thus safe for animals)